USA
UK

HalfEagle.com

Scouting Blogs and News | Celebrate 100 years of Scouting by sharing what you've done over 100 days to promote Scouting.

Follow @halfeaglebot for new Scouting blog post announcements!

Sort by Date Popularity

The Life of a Serendipitist

I think it is important to have "Hero's" in life. People that we look up to or try to learn from chapters of their lives. William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt is one of my hero's. His love for the Scouting program drove him and in the end elevated... From The Scoutmaster Minute 7 years ago

Doing your Good Turn

At the Wednesday show at the National Order of the Arrow Conference (NOAC) the National Chief rolled out a social media blitz.  Staying with the theme "It Starts with Us", the National Chief challenged.. no Dared each person in the Breslin Arena to... From The Scoutmaster Minute 8 years ago

Ask the Scout Executive

Over my many years as a Scouter both at the Cub Scout level and the Boy Scout level, I have often heard folks grip about one thing or another when it comes to our paid Scouters.  I have sat in "town hall" or fire side chats with Scout Executives... From The Scoutmaster Minute 9 years ago

Take a Ride with Stan Ellsworth from American Ride

Today marks 100 days before our contingent jumps on a plane to DC!  We're gettin' close… You may recall from a previous post that our Council's Jamboree experience will include 10 additional days of visiting historic landmarks and national... From My Scout Stuff - A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Birds Eye View of Construction at the Summit

Wanna see how things are coming along at the site of the 2013 Jamboree? With a little over 100 days to go, check out this bird's eye view of the construction effort at the Summit . Rock climbing Mountain biking Canopy tours Zip lines Challenge... From My Scout Stuff - A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Issue 316 â€" June 22, 2012

Rule No. 82: • Some volunteers are sort of like Slinkies… not really good for very much, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumbling down the stairs. ________________________________________ Dear Andy, This is more of a comment... From Ask Andy 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 13

Day 13 Just wanted to share this logo for the Catholic Committee on Scouting. Today was a down day, recovering from an unpleasant stomach bug. Managed to finally get a lot of drafts finalized and posted, so I hope you are enjoying them. It has been... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 12

Day 12 ...and then it was my turn. Everyone seems be recovering from a 24 hour stomach bug, so they can help me like I helped them. Today's Scouting will consist of reading email and trying not to share the illness outside of my home. A Scout is... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 11

Day 11 Those reading these posts know that yesterday was a tough day. My fellow Scouts are to finish our great trip, while I am home tending to the sick. At 7AM, my son, the Life Scout, comes up the stairs quite unexpectedly. They should almost be... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 10

Day 10 We have waited for this weekend for a very long time. Four and a half years, to be precise. A brand new troop of three Boy Scouts, all former Lone Scouts, and two Webelos Scouts who were about to make the jump to the troop began what is... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 8

Day 8 Tonight is our meeting night. I have a Bear den as part of my weekly hour...followed by our troop meeting...another hour...and change each week. Before the den meeting a mom called me aside to discuss her son's behavior. He is fairly new to... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 9

Day 9 Just take your eye off of the ball for a little while, and what happens? A granny knot instead a square knot. I'm kind of exhausted after last night , and keep replaying it in my head. Scouting became a big struggle for me after the 100 Days... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 7

Day 7 If this picture looks a little familiar, it is the same as yesterday's but back when the pool was still full of water, and the world was a lot more black-and-white. Not a lot of Scouting today. I cleared a lot of Scouting stuff off of my... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 6

Day 6 Spoke with one of our Eagle Scout candidates. This almost 18 year-old was one of my original Cub Scouts that we began the pack with 8 years ago. He was a Lone Scout for 2 years while we built up enough Webelos Scouts to get a troop started... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 4

Day 4 Spent today doing some investing of time into our pack and troop. Sent out the list of requirements to the den leaders and den chiefs for the Den Chief Service Award . I think most of them have either earned it or are really close. Contacted... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 3

Day 3 brings fruit already. Welding merit badge announcement yesterday to our troop resulted in a merit badge counselor and two Scouts eager to get started. I have to admit, I'm surprised. Welding doesn't really appeal to me, so I have a hard time... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 2

Day 2 of this year's 100 Days of Scouting brings news. First, it quit snowing yesterday as soon as I sent out the notices that we would cancel our meetings. I wish I could say it was the first time that had happened! We have a number of families... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 1

Today is the anniversary of the beginning of Scouting in the United States. Each of the past two years ( 2010 and 2011 ), I've marked this day with beginning a series of 100 daily posts, each noting the large and small ways I commit to Scouting... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

The Life of a Serendipitist

I think it is important to have "Hero's" in life.  People that we look up to or try to learn from chapters of their lives.  William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt is one of my hero's.  His love for the Scouting program drove him and in the end elevated... From The Scoutmaster Minute 1 decade ago

#100DaysofScouting - Day 100

Finally! To be honest this was not as fun the 2nd time around for me.  I had gotten into a nice schedule with my blog and it felt very rushed to post every day for 100 days...which I truly did not (missed a few there). I did however meet some new... From The Scoutmaster 1 decade ago

To Keep myself Physically Strong..

That point in the Scout Oath that is often over looked.. said real fast to get to "Mentally Awake.. Morally Straight".  Yep, I'm calling you out!  But just as the old adage says.. when you point a finger, three are pointing back at you. I consider... From The Scoutmaster Minute 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 100

Safety Merit Badge First, my thanks to @ScouterAdam and @SM_Phil for declaring yesterday @Scoutsigns Day! Now if I'd just finished on time for my own "holiday"! Please take a minute to post comments about what you plan on doing with your newly... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

100 Days Of Scouting: Day 100

The end of the 2011 "100 Days Of Scouting" has arrived. This is the second year of the blogging event, but the first year for me. Twenty four blogs participated this year, including Scoutsigns , the originator of 100 Days of Scouting. Did I post... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Day 100

On this last day of the 100 Days of Scouting, I learned we have a new Eagle in the troop I learned a terrific scout is moving away I hiked 10 miles I gave advice to a scout planning next month's campout I finished carving an Eagle gift I helped the... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 99

Rowing Merit Badge One day to go. Hard to believe. Last year, 100 days seemed to last near an eternity. Then, waiting 265 more days to begin made me question if I could even do it again. Perseverance. Now my 2nd 100 Days of Scouting is rapidly... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

#100DaysofScouting - Days 97-98

Last night was the Troop Meeting. It went very well. However a little dry as it was part two of our Gun Safety skills demo and we had NRA Trained Adults teaching.  Last week was a little better as it had adults and Scouts demonstrating how to hold... From The Scoutmaster 1 decade ago

Second 100

Today marks the last day of the second 100 days of Scouting blog campaign.  But as I thought about it, I remembered back to what my good friend Mike Walton who at the beginning of the #100daysofscouting blog campaign wrote about the first one.  And... From The Scoutmaster Minute 1 decade ago

100 Days of Scouting: Day 99 (Board of Reviews)

The Troop 68 committee met tonight. The troop's two newest Boy Scouts attended for their Tenderfoot board of reviews. They were very excited. In fact, they arrived before the committee did. The committee holds board of reviews at the beginning of... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 98

Robotics Merit Badge OK, not quite the day I had planned, which means it is a Scouting day! I'm feeling some pressure about closing the 100 Days of Scouting out on a good note, but I seem to be falling behind in everything. Then I dwell on the... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

Day 98: I'm a Tenderfoot

Patrol meetings and boards of review this evening. Waiting outside with a scout's father, he came out of his board of review and said, "I'm a Tenderfoot!" with a huge grin on his face. It will be quite awhile before I forget that smile and the hug... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

100 Days of Scouting: Day 98 (Troop Meeting)

I usually get a bit irritated when only three of the ten members of the troop show up for a troop meeting, but tonight it worked out very well. It was a true boy run meeting. The boys in attendance were the assistant senior patrol leader and the... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 97

Rifle Shooting Merit Badge Some days you cannot win for losing. Two steps forward, three back. Fortunately, tomorrow is a new day...and even the rain won't matter. Today I: Spoke to a new family at church that has a boy old enough to be a... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 96

Reptile and Amphibian Study Merit Badge Who's afraid of a little rain? Not us! We survived our Fun with Son Cub Scout weekend! A lot of wet, but no worse for the wear. Drying out shall commence...in time for a Scout meeting tonight...and then some... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 95

Reading Merit Badge Today we are camping, and I'm enjoying a rainy day with my Wolf. Archery, BB shooting, camp food, outhouses, and I suspect an indoor campfire ceremony tonight. Great times, with my youngest son. This is what Scouting is all... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

Coyotes and Purple Gorillas

Two new boys joined us for their first Boy Scout camping trip at Camp Watchamagumee over the weekend of May 6-8, 2011. They had a great time on the outing but we did have an interesting and unexpected experience Friday night. The four boys... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Day 95

An ASM stopped by this afternoon and grabbed the adult patrol box, tents, dutch ovens, ropes, and other gear from my garage for this weekend's campout. Since I'm presenting Scoutmaster Specific training tomorrow, I can't be two places at once so... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 94

Railroading Merit Badge Countdown continues on the 2nd 100 Day of Scouting. Hard to believe it will be over before you know it. I'm already thinking about next year, and I'm open to any ideas for improvements you might have, so leave me a comment... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

The PTC Media Royal Couple

It has been a long time in the making, but it looks like it has finally happened. Cubmaster Chris of the An Hour A Week podcast and father of the PTC Media network of Scouting related podcasts has released this photo of Miss Liberty of the MISS... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Day 93

Stopped in to help with an Eagle Service Project for just a little while. The scout is running the show just fine and in fact ahead of schedule. It wraps up on Saturday. This guy worked with the local library to redesign how they collect,... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 93

Pulp and Paper Merit Badge Wow, only a week left! Day 93! Getting ready for my meetings tonight and tomorrow night. We are winding down our Wolf meetings, and the big crossover into the next den level is only 2 weeks away. I've spent much of the... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 92

Public Speaking Merit Badge I confess, I took advantage of a quiet day today. My folks are in town, visiting to see my new grandchild. Beautiful weather has the garden calling. Scouting is everywhere, and more to take advantage of there, too! The... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

#100DaysofScouting - Day 90

T minus 10... -Talked with a Life Scout helping him with his Eagle Project...'discussed' the project and I think it is pretty good.  Now he has to develop the plan, fill out the workbook and get the signatures for approval. - worked on my... From The Scoutmaster 1 decade ago

Day 91: T Minus 10

Less than 10 to go. As before, the #100Days process has me wondering what's next. 100 days of anything could be a major step in my life – if I was passionate about it. 100 Days of Reading…. 100 Days of Fitness… 100 Days of... From A Scouter's Journey 1 decade ago

YouTube Tuesday: Famous Failures

I have to thank Scoutmaster Jerry from the SSM Blog for this video suggestion. He posted this video on his blog and I agree that it is a great one. To quote the description on the video's page: "Inspiring video on persevering no matter how many... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Day 91

Getting the scouts outside sure makes for a more energetic troop meeting! The SPL had his plan all laid out with skills, patrol time, and troop game all outsite. The weather cooperated, and there was a lot of noisy activity so I'd say it was a... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 91

Public Health Merit Badge Back from a long and hectic weekend. My daughter is officially a college graduate, and starts on her Masters in a couple of weeks. Came home to a bunch of Scouting email and gardening chores to get done. Today I: Responded... From 100 Days of Scouting 1 decade ago

Memorabilia Monday: Activity Patches.

It has been said that Boy Scout leaders will do nearly anything for a patch. I guess I may fall into that grouping. I have been to many camporees and Scouting activities over the last three decades, and yes, I attended a few of them just to get the... From A Scoutmaster's Blog 1 decade ago

Day 90

This past week really got away from me and time to post was lost. Hopefully, it was a burp and not a lingering situation. This past week, I ... had 4 scoutmaster conferences attended a PLC meeting participated in the district Roundtable meeting got... From Scoutmaster Musings 1 decade ago

Know of a blog post on this topic that I missed? Let me know.